Puzzle #5: Not a square (midi)

This was an interesting puzzle to make. I started with a regular 9x midi, using 19A as my seed, which is a word I've been dying to use since learning it from the Great British Bake Off. But then I decided to make a mini-theme and have the central down answer be a sort of counterpart. To keep the symmetry of their crossing being at the center, I extended the height and then found an interesting entry that I liked.

Working on this grid was surprisingly difficult, since I didn't have many options to partition it; my choices were either:

  1.  a three stack in the center, which I felt would dilute the theme of the central entry a bit too much
  2.  the only connection between top and bottom being through the central square (by extending the two block fingers to three
  3.  what I decided on, having two additional 11-length downs. This felt least objectionable since they're offset from the center. And I was able to come up with some satisfactory entries, with clues that hopefully you find interesting!

Other notes:

  • I worry that some of the clues are too personally specific, but I erred on the side of amusing myself since who cares about my blog anyway! That particularly applies to 2D, so if you didn't get the reference check it out.
  • 12A is very stupid, and I hope you appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment